Skip to main content

Getting up....

I was visiting my Mum last weekend.  She is getting older.  Still well enough, although the trials of age are catching up with her.  Noticeably in terms of mobility, basic movements.

It made me think of a comment that someone made on a recent post:


I recently got a daily e-mail from John Wood, of bodyweightbasics.com. It is usually a little sales pitch for an old time strongman book or some cool equipment, but sometimes it's training tips, routines,etc. This days was about the get-up. Not the Turkish get up, just the get up. Lay on the floor, front or back, and stand up. Do this 50 times. Try to make each one a little different. Alternate laying on your back and front. He uses it as a finisher on his workouts. I am terribly out of shape, and I tried it. It did give me a workout. Given what you have noted the importance of being able simply rise from the floor can mean, especially in old age, I am not sure I can think of a more simple, basic and safe exercise that may provide more benefit. Just thought I might share, and who knows, if you revise Hillfitt again, maybe add it to your list of exercises. 

There is something to this, the idea of floor living that I've mentioned before.  You don't need to be doing 50 reps of this, just being capable of getting up from the floor.

In terms of functional training, this is what counts.  I am all for basic, accessible, simple and safe strength training to build muscle and strength.  You need to use that strength though in basic real life moves.  As you get older what will be important is not only the strength to be independent, but the preservation of the skills of independence:  sitting, standing, walking, getting up and lying down.

Comments

Chris Sturdy said…
This is in the same vein of what Erwan at MovNat promotes - although more hard core - it is remarkable how hard these simple movements can get!
Chris Sturdy said…
You have another winner here, Chris! I just did this, 25 front, 25 back, sometimes with no hand assist, sometimes push up down/up, and as expected, a good, solid, functional workout! I didn't time it at all but rather worked on mixing it up and ensuring that I was fully flat and motionless before beginning each repetition. This will be added to my routine for sure.

I wonder how a cross section of fit, non-elderly would fare with these movements? I remember how hard I found similar movements when I attended a MoveNat workshop that Clifton Harski ran back in 2011 at AHS, and I was and am reasonably fit. I worked these movements into my routine for a time but have not for a while. No more. They are going back into the rotation!
Billy Oblivion said…
I go to a martial arts class twice a week--one of the jujitsu variants (not MMA).

This gives me lots of experience getting up off the floor from different positions.
Craig said…
If you are a fan of American football, and past certain age, you may recalled that one of Vince Lombardi's (Green Bay Packers coach in the 1960's) favorite training camp activities was the dreaded "grass drill". The players would throw themselves prone, face in the grass, and then get up as qucikly as possible, again and again and again. Most were not very fond of the drill because it was so physically taxing.
Andy said…
We get pretty hung up on our gym work, weights, running and such but as we get older, the basic things are what matter the most.
As an ambulance paramedic, i have lost count of the number of times i have been called to "get someone off the floor"
I've just done a session of this and I've stretched stuff that hasn't really been stretched properly for ages.
Time to put some of the basic functional stuff back into my workouts eh!!

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...