Skip to main content

Are any supplements worth the money and hassle?


One of the themes of this blog recently has been trying to steer people away from the hype, the promises of miracles and astounding progress from some new routine, diet or supplement.

Supplements are an area where, over the years there has been so many empty promises. I've been reading bodybuilding magazines since 1983 and I have seen many products touted as the latest miracle: l-ornithine, orchic tissue (dried bull testicles!), safflower oil, desiccated liver , brewers' yeast, beta-alanine.... Each one promoted by some big name bodybuilder whose physique was really built from superior genetics and anabolics. Over the years I have developed quite a scepticism about supplements. However, some supplements do have some evidence to support their use.

I asked the guys at Examine.com to tell me what supplements are actually worth the money and effort for an average 45 year old office worker like me! (I've referred to Examine.com before and have also highlighted their excellent supplement guide) They base their recommendations on a full review of the scientific literature, not marketing hype. I interviewed Sol Orwell - the chief research nerd behind Examine.com a few months ago .....Ok then, what supplements make sense? What does the science support?


Supplementation for the Average Joe : A Guest Post from Examine.com


Creatine

Creatine is one of the most readily recommended supplements. It noticeably increases physical performance in new and advanced trainees, and it can be taken daily without side-effects.

It stands out from other ergogenics, like caffeine and beta-alanine, as caffeine becomes less effective as tolerance grows, and beta-alanine, while it works, only accounts for a 3% increase in endurance performance. Not only does creatine work, but it has positive health benefits. Though these health benefits are not strong and consistent enough for creatine to be marketed as an general health supplement, they are a great bonus to creatine’s positive effects on the athlete.

Vitamin D and Vitamin K

These two vitamins are prime for supplementation for two reasons:

  • The average person is most likely not deficient, as Vitamin D and K are present in most diets in low doses. A proper diet is enough to prevent the problems of a vitamin deficiency (rickets and haemorrhaging, for example).
  • Even though most people are not deficient, their vitamin levels are not optimal. It is difficult to hit the ideal level of Vitamin K and D through diet alone.

Both of these supplements are general health supplements. Proper supplementation will reduce the risk of cardiovascular issues like atherosclerosis and heart attacks, as well as bone issues like osteoporosis, and even reduce the risk of neurodegenerative disorders like multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's and Parkinson’s.

Other vitamin and mineral supplements, like magnesium, can also be supplemented. Unlike Vitamin D and K, however, a proper diet will eliminate the need for supplementation.

Adaptogens

Adaptogens are a group of supplements that cause a minor stress response in the body, which is immediately met with an exaggerated anti-stress reaction. These are the best supplements to take for the purpose of stress reduction. Users typically experience less stress from specific sources, as well as a resistance to future stress. The reduction of stress can help with alleviating depression, anxiety, and immune system suppression.

Three major adatogens are panax ginseng, ashwagandha, and rhodiola rosea. All three will reduce stress. Rhodiola rosea aids specifically in reducing ‘burnout’ symptoms in the workplace, and ashwagandha can help facilitate social interaction and improve physical performance.

To determine which adaptogen is ideal for you, take one of them during a period of stress and observe the effects. If you do not observe any effects, you may not need the adaptogen.

Sleep Aids

Sleep aids are a collection of supplements that will improve sleep quality. Non-benzodiazepine sleep aids are rare. Benzodiazepines are a class of pharmaceuticals that, despite being potent sedatives, possess addicting properties.

  • Melatonin will improve issues with sleep latency. Sleep latency is the time that it takes to fall asleep after your head hits the pillow.
  • Glycine will improve issues with sleep quality. If falling asleep is not a problem, but getting a good night’s rest is, consider improving your sleep quality.

Both supplements are cheap, safe, and worth a try if you wake up in the mornings feeling like you need another 8 hours. Take melatonin or glycine 30 minutes before sleeping. The time between supplementation and actual sleep should ideally be a period of relaxation in a dim or dark room.

Conclusion

So there you have it: 
  • Creatine
  • Vitamin D
  • Vitamin K
  • Adaptogens to fight stress
  • Sleep aids
More about Examine

Examine.com has just expanded their editorial team bringing on more experts: a medical doctor, 2 PhDs and a Doctor of Pharmacy.  They have a huge free resource at Examine.com, but also the excellent Supplement Guide which includes free lifetime updates, keeping the material up to date as the science develops.





Comments

psychic24 said…
I was attempting to buy ashwagandha on amazon and seem to find pills that supply small doses (450-500mg) in comparison to the recommended 6gram dose you suggest on examine.com. I wonder if the additional info. about the extract (e.g. 4.5%extract..etc) reduces the necessary dosage?
Specifically i'm referring to http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Ashwagandha-Extract-450mg-VCaps/dp/B0013OQIJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384273179&sr=8-1&keywords=ashwagandha

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...