Skip to main content

Enough is enough

No meaning to the photo....I just like it
More Less or Enough?

How about re calibrating our attitude towards diet and exercise to one which is focused on the idea of enough?

So often in both diet and exercise we find ourselves at an extreme.  More and more of this and less and less of that.  What would happen if we shifted to a focus on sufficiency? Instead of trying to achieve less or more how about aiming for enough? Relax a little. Instead of pushing at the limits live in the middle for a while. 

What do I mean?

Try to use the word enough a little more.  

Eat less and move more?  No eat enough and move enough. 

Get more sleep?  Get enough (to wake up rested)

Eat more protein? No eat enough (to repair and grow)

Eat fewer carbs? No eat enough carbs (to fuel your activity)

Eat less fat. No eat enough fat (to keep healthy hormone production)

You get the idea

Get less stress. No get enough( hormesis)

Train on the premise of sufficiency

Exercise harder?  No just do enough... but not too much. 

Move from less or more to enough. .  

Enough stress. Enough intensity. 

Do more?  No do enough and then back off. 


More is better? No enough is enough. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
So refreshing to see this post.

For those of us who are lucky enough to be in a good spot with diet, sleep, fitness and so on on there is something a little pathological about most of the health literature in that you always have to push yourself, increase the reps, increase the weight, go totally paleo, monitor yourself more even during your sleep for goodness sake. But, little airtime is given to just being happy where you are at and maintaining status quo or as I read your post, figuring out what is 'enough'.

FeelGoodEating said…
Chris,

The written word and the spoken word will never be the same. Our very ears, our emotions, our eyes, brain etc etc are all in it together and when we communicate with each other, in the presence of each other, our communication with one another makes better sense.
As much as I love your post and I agree with you, I'm afraid the nature of online has become "fixed".
A response sample could likely be:
" good post, but what's enough for some isn't enough for others" "So I suggest blah blah blah ad nauseum. We get dragged in, in amazement of others "not getting it", we waste energy and our time.
Perhaps we should start using the internet much more to connect with like mined people close to us, so we can talk about some of our hobbies face to face. HA! maybe that's it. The internet connected us, now we have to leave it behind in certain ways to keep evolving.

Sorry for the ramble...you got me going a bit :-)

Trust you're happy and work is well.
Marc
Unknown said…
I am a lurker on your blog, having read it for a long while now. I have a LOT of weight to lose (about 230lbs) and have taken this exact approach to weight loss this time around. I've gone extremely slowly building up from a 31 minute mile to a 24 minute mile. It took three months to do that. That's ok because I haven't gotten injured. Every other time previously I would be injured within two months of starting a new exercise program because either I, or my trainer, pushed me too hard, too fast.

This approach is fantastic. I appreciate the last three or so posts you have written about it. Everything else is written to IMPROVE IMPROVE IMPROVE GO! GO! GO! so I love reading your posts which reinforce the strategy I'm taking this time.
Chris said…
@T.Lewis I am glad that this is helpful. As I get older the more I realise that things like being free of injury, healthy and happy are the key goals. Just take it easy....be patient, but persistent. Keep going. Form the habit of exercising, moving and eating. Ease up on stress about any of it.
Chris said…
Thanks Marc. I know you understand.
Anonymous said…
Wow, Chris. You nailed it. Enough. Just enough. I needed this reminder, as it is SOOOOO easy to be influenced by the urge to improve that is all around us. Can't we just accept we are okay?

I have been jogging, taking long walks/hikes and working out (yoga, push-ups, etc) for over 35 years now. Over 25 years ago, I lost and have kept of over 50 lbs, with just a few (very few) lbs fluctuation over the years. My diet is pretty balanced, cooking is from scratch, no extremes in high or low fat/carbs. So...I think I can say 'I got it' regarding health practices. Maybe I can finally take a deep breath and just relax.

The one diet I really need to go on it health/fitness blogs. ;-) Except Conditioning Research...your work has evolved so much and is now a great sanity check for me.

Thanks for continuing to post your thoughts, Chris. All the best.

K
Chris said…
K

Thanks for your comment. You sound like you are on the right lines.
Chris said…
K

Thanks for your comment. You sound like you are on the right lines.
Many thanks! This post seems to have done the trick!
Doug McGuff, MD said…
Chris,

Ironically, the only way to push forward is to obey the law of "enough".

In BBS I make a big deal out of health being an appropriate balance of the anabolic and catabolic state. You can argue that health can take a back seat for the sake of performance...but....something that can't go on forever...won't.

To much of this crap is driven by survivorship bias(see my current blog post), with the survivors thinking they have a superior work ethic as compared to the rest of us. This is crap.

If you want to be the best you can be, you must learn how to say...enough!
Unknown said…
HIT is a great choice, no doubt, but recently autoregulation style caught my attention. It's less efficient, but can be safe, effective and also make you focus on practice, not performance. Example would be 5x a week bodyweight multiple set training not to failure. You"d just achieve subjective RPE of 8-9 and call it a day, no charts, no written progress. One needs more time for this, on the other side there is no battle with weights. "Just show up." At the moment I stay with HIT but who knows?
Helga said…
Thank you, Chris! It's about time someone came right out and said this! More-is-always-better is very much a First World mind-set.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...