Skip to main content

There is no new thing


Ecclesiastes 1:9 (ASV)
That which hath been is that which shall be; and that which hath been done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

It is Christmas, so here is a reminder of a key truth from the Bible which is very relevant to our obsessions with health, diet and fitness. 

There is nothing new!

Every time you read of some new diet, supplement, exercise protocol or secret technique remember that it will have been done before. 

10 Is there a thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been long ago, in the ages which were before us.

Just ask each time.....is this new?

Comments

Unknown said…
There is no new thing.
Tom said…
Wondering if your blog title "conditioning research" is correct - there has Been no interesting research for ages (although in the last weeks and months i remember hundreds of interesting studies, even highly applicable to conditioning)
Your attitude of going back to the basics and keeping it simple and not following every little Hype is mine too - but that should be evident and doesnt need daily expression or a blog called like this one.
THANKS FOR THE LOVELY COMMENTS! I AM GLAD YOU LIKE THE POST ASWELL! MORE TO COME!

Key Rings - Make sure you're never caught without a pen with our 10k Mini Key Ring Pen.
Chris said…
Tom, I am sorry. If you want more on the research, check out http://suppversity.blogspot.co.uk

I am finding that the new research is not relevant to most people.
Tom said…
No need to feel Sorry - but i liked your earlier posts in Form of "science in Moderation" and enjoyed reading Here next to sweat science and suppversity. The correctness and quality of your posts are not subject to my critique - only the focus of them.
Happy holidays!
Anonymous said…
I have long felt that the fitness industry survives on selling the Next-Big-Thing. People, sure that this will be the thing that transforms them (thanks to the hype), apply themselves with extra diligence and whatever gains they see actually come from their working harder rather than from the Next-Big-Thing itself. Thus the formula works and the fitness industry perpetuates itself indefinitely this way.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...