Skip to main content

tactical edge

I train once a week at Krav Maga Edinburgh. I am pretty rubbish at it but I like the simplicity of the moves that we are taught and it is good to train in something useful and practical.

Our instructor is a pupil of Mark Davies and a lot of the things we do are not classical Krav Maga but are influenced more by Mark's Tactical Edge system. I've not yet had the chance to get to one of Mark's seminars - too busy on the weekends - but this is a flavour of the techniques he uses. Simple but destructive.



Comments

krav kior said…
Interesting stuff, some of those techniques look a bit overcomplicated to me though but I'm just used to KM
kieraninmotion said…
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Bas Rutten do a lot of the practical stuff in his street defence videos? Using everyday objects in defence and counter-attack for example. A lot of what Mark is doing looks like a combination of the stuff Bas done and Muay Boran/Lerdrit, only a wole lot more complicated.

When someone attacks me with a knife, I want to get away as fast as possible, with as little interaction between the assailant and I. I've no intention in hitting him multiple times to be perfectly honest. My time is best used by quickening my reaction speeds so I can do very simple stuff (block, counter, run) like a kick to the groin, side of knee etc, this stuff is only efficient if you spend loads of time training it on top of reaction times etc which isn't really an efficient way to train at all.
kieraninmotion said…
Sorry for the double comment but I wanted to add - Mark is coming from the idea that you need to immobilise your attacker, rather than just escape the situation. This is true if you are working in the door or if you are 1 on 1 with someone trying to kill you (armed forces, police etc). I think Tactical Edge is overkill for someone who doesn't face daily danger as part of their job.
Chris said…
Kieran - thanks for both comments. I see your points. When our instructor demonstrates this stuff it looks amazing but I still want to basic, simple, gross motor movements.

He is good at emphasizing the basics in the training though and I've never actually seen Mark in the flesh so all I am going on is the videos and the reports from those I respect, Like Rannoch Donald.
kieraninmotion said…
I'm glad you see the point I was trying to make rather than the rant I ended up making!

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...