Friday, June 18, 2010

Wow....9 yr old does a planche



In this video a 9 year old athlete is performing a solid straddle planche on the rings for 5 seconds followed by a legs together straight body planche for 2 seconds. This is one of the strongest planches on the still rings in the United States; regardless of age.

Please note the completely straight elbows and extended hips during his planche work. This "locked elbow" strength is essential in order to progress onward to more advanced ring strength elements and must be quite carefully and progressively developed.

Further professional training advice as well as thousands of in-depth discussions regarding this type of conditioning is available at:
http://GymnasticBodies.com/forum

6 comments:

praguestepchild said...

One really can't go wrong with gymnastics as an introduction to sports for children . . . proprioception, body strength, self-discipline, etc.

Steven Low said...

Bah, it's high. Decreasing the angle of the body about the 20-30 degrees or so to parallel really does increase the strength required by at least 15-20%. I wouldn't really call it a true straddle planche....

Still pretty impressive for his age though. Most of the stronger kids barely get a floor/pb straddle planche before their growth spurts, and then have to get stronger again after them because their muscles lose a lot of their leverage.

Hans Hageman said...

I'm seconding the comment about the power of gymnastics for athletic development in kids - Judo is another great one. I love the gymnasticbodies site. It presents nice challenges for my middle-aged body and mind.

Chris D said...

Amazing

I wish I had worked on variety of skills like this before he was 12.

I've seen a number of young gymnastic athletes do incredible strength moves that I've been trying to learn for the past 3-4 years.

Zbig said...

check out this 4 y.o., too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihBveAmabkM&feature=player_embedded

cheers,
zbig

personal training sunshine coast said...

Hey Nice stuff...!! I've been following your post since last 3 months and I must say I got so many information by your post and comments so thanks for sharing it with us.