Skip to main content

Wow....9 yr old does a planche



In this video a 9 year old athlete is performing a solid straddle planche on the rings for 5 seconds followed by a legs together straight body planche for 2 seconds. This is one of the strongest planches on the still rings in the United States; regardless of age.

Please note the completely straight elbows and extended hips during his planche work. This "locked elbow" strength is essential in order to progress onward to more advanced ring strength elements and must be quite carefully and progressively developed.

Further professional training advice as well as thousands of in-depth discussions regarding this type of conditioning is available at:
http://GymnasticBodies.com/forum

Comments

praguestepchild said…
One really can't go wrong with gymnastics as an introduction to sports for children . . . proprioception, body strength, self-discipline, etc.
Steven Low said…
Bah, it's high. Decreasing the angle of the body about the 20-30 degrees or so to parallel really does increase the strength required by at least 15-20%. I wouldn't really call it a true straddle planche....

Still pretty impressive for his age though. Most of the stronger kids barely get a floor/pb straddle planche before their growth spurts, and then have to get stronger again after them because their muscles lose a lot of their leverage.
Hans Hageman said…
I'm seconding the comment about the power of gymnastics for athletic development in kids - Judo is another great one. I love the gymnasticbodies site. It presents nice challenges for my middle-aged body and mind.
Chris D said…
Amazing

I wish I had worked on variety of skills like this before he was 12.

I've seen a number of young gymnastic athletes do incredible strength moves that I've been trying to learn for the past 3-4 years.
Zbig said…
check out this 4 y.o., too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihBveAmabkM&feature=player_embedded

cheers,
zbig
Hey Nice stuff...!! I've been following your post since last 3 months and I must say I got so many information by your post and comments so thanks for sharing it with us.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...