Skip to main content

“Strength and Fitness for a Lifetime: How We Train Now” - Review

Almost a year ago now you might remember that I interviewed Fred Fornicola.  Fred is a great guy - straight forward, not bound by dogma but interested in what works to get results for the average person.

He has been around the training world for some time now and has begun to reflect a little on the lessons that those years of traning have taught him. 

Rather than just sit there and think about these things, Fred has recorded his experiences into a useful little book that is highly recommended.

In  “Strength and Fitness for a Lifetime: How We Train Now” - Fred has brought together a series of short interviews with a group of strength coaches and trainers generally in their 40's and 50's to detail their :
  • goals;
  • approach;
  • training schedule; and
  • sample workouts.
We often get bowled over by impressive routines on fancy websites and it is refreshing to see some basic information from guys that have been training successfully for years....AND ARE STILL AT IT.  These guys have survived and have a lot to teach us.  It is good to see how goals change towards health as people age, but that there is still an excitement about training and hitting the gym.

There are some well known names here (Clarence Bass is always a good read and has been an inspiration for years;  Dan John is in there too) - but there are also some guys of whom I'd never previously heard but who have some great experience and good ideas.  People like Dan Riley and Dennis Rogers    have some real wisdom to share.  It is interesting to read something more from Dan Martin - I've read his stuff on the Dave Draper site before.

Of course anything that includes Bill DeSimmone is always worth reading!

A great little book and well worth the $10.


Order here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...