Skip to main content

Pissing in the wind - are you drinking too much?

I want to talk about alcohol.  This post was prompted by a number of things:

Rearranging the Deck-chairs

Tom Furman had a good post recently which hit a nerve with me.  He spoke about how too often we major on the minors.  We ignore the really important stuff and fiddle with minutiae.  We might have everything right, all the right things in place.....but then we sabotage it with something else we are doing.

You might be eating well and training well.....but are you also smoking?  Are you watching your diet, counting calories and macros....but drinking a bottle of wine a night?  Are you training hard, eating well but not getting more than 5 hours sleep a night?


You get the picture. By avoiding the real problem, you can pretend to be courageous. You perhaps act as if you are uninformed, but you are mimicking a child who closes his eyes and believes he is invisible. You really aren’t fooling anyone. Not even yourself. - See more at: http://www.tomfurman.com/rearrange-the-deck-chairs/



Then there was this post on Suppversity.  

Alcohol is a killer: According to WHO, morbidity attributable to alcohol in countries with an established market economy (10.3% of disability adjusted life years) comes second only to that of tobacco (11.7%; Murray. 1997). According to a very recent study by published in the scientific journal Addiction by the Pan American Health Organization, a branch of the World Health Organization alcohol was a 'necessary' cause of death (i.e., death would not have occurred in the absence of alcohol consumption) in an average of 79,456 cases per year in 16 North and Latin American countries (Gawryszewski. 2014). 
Alcohol is not good for you.  And there are a lot more statistics out there if you want to look for them.

Dry January

These posts both came at a time when I've decided to give up alcohol for a while.   I'm going along with Dry January   I realised that I was drinking too much.  I'll not get into details but there was far too much wine going down my neck most nights.....to relax.  Much of it was a habit, but I was finding myself looking forward to the drink and the habit was getting too ingrained, so I wanted to cut right back.

Obsessing over diet, exercise, sleep and attitude are all fine.....but I was sabotaging things by drinking.


Comments

Billy Oblivion said…
There is a difference between a glass (proper glass, not my uncles 16oz tumbler) of wine and a bottle.

There's a difference between a cocktail and a snoot full.

Just as there are documented deleterious effects from Alcohol, there are also fairly well studied positive effects.
Chris Sturdy said…
I think that some "habits" have the tendency to evolve over time both in their frequency and amount. The problem is recognizing this, as they tend to creep along and escape our notice. No one sets out to overindulge on substance X, but this often enough ends up as a result. Good for you, Chris, in identifying this for yourself.
AL said…
I'm with you here Chris. I can relate.
sifter said…
Winter leaves us inside more often than not. We make excuses, it's cold, I'm bored, wine is 'good for the heart'. Bravo to you for acknowledging a potential problem and doing something about it. Let us know how you feel at the end of the month, will you?
Stuart Gilbert said…
I don't drink,and haven't all my adult life. But I can see how a habit can insidiously turn into an addiction. I notice it in the way people look at me as though I'm weird, if I mention that I don't drink. Many are compelled to ask me why, as though it is something totally out of the ordinary.Some will shake their heads and congratulate me on being so "disciplined" ( I don't see it that way ). Worse still are the ones who just cannot get their heads around the fact that someone would choose not to drink alcohol, and who keep asking, " Why?". It's those that I look at as future alcohol related statistics.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...