Skip to main content

skipping rope....or (jump rope for the americans)

Ok, I'll come clean. This post is a bit contrived. I recently saw a couple of videos that I wanted to put up which featured two amazing athletes skipping rope (or jump rope as the yanks say). To justify that I thought I'd better find some science about jumping rope.

So, I'll put one video here...and another in the next post.

As we've mentioned a bit recently explosive movements - such as jumps - are really effective at developing power and for fat loss. This is where skipping comes in - it is an explosive movement that also - allegedly - develops great coordination and athleticism.

There is a nice study below which amuses me in that it basically says that skipping a rope is hard!
Average MET values at the different rates ranged from 11.7 to 12.5, which supported findings from other studies that rope skipping is very strenuous exercise.



As an example of this "strenuous" exercise look at this:



This is the great Ross Enamait and he has written his own - very good - article about this exercise here .

Here is the obligatory scientific article:

The effect of rope skipping rate on energy expenditure of males and females.


The purpose was to study the effects of skipping rate on energy expenditure and sex differences in response to rope skipping. Responses of 19 males and 11 females were measured while skipping for 5 min at 125, 135 and 145 skips . min-1. Expired air was routed through a hollow handle to collection bags to provide uninterrupted exercise. Values at the respective rates for the total sample were: VO2 (l . min-1) 2.79, 2.83, 2.85; VO2 (ml . kg-1 . min-1) 41.1, 42.0 42.5; HR (beats . min-1) 176, 177, 177; VE (l . min) 102.2, 103.5, 106.3; R 1.09, 1.07, 1.05; energy expenditure (kj . min-1) 58.6, 59.4, 60.3. Sex differences were found in that females had significantly lower VO2 both in l . min-1 and ml . kg-1 . min-1 but higher HR values than males. Comparison of VO2 values of the females to VO2max values reported for females in the literature suggested that they may have been exercising close to their maximum. There were no differences in any of the values due to skipping rate nor was there interaction between sex and rate. Retrospective cinematographic analysis on two subjects suggested that the failure to find significant differences due to rate may be due to a decrease in vertical displacement resulting in a relatively constant work output as skipping rate increased. Average MET values at the different rates ranged from 11.7 to 12.5, which supported findings from other studies that rope skipping is very strenuous exercise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...