Skip to main content

Lyle on Tabata


I noticed recently that "Tabata has gone mainstream".

Lyle MacDonald has an excellent piece de-constructing the (in)famous study behind the protocol.

Worth the read for sure.

High-intensity interval training and the Tabata protocol specifically are one tool in the toolbox but anybody proclaiming that intervals can do everything that anyone ever needs to do is cracked. That’s on top of the fact that 99% of people who claim to be doing ‘Tabatas’ aren’t doing anything of the sort.

Because 8 sets of 20″ hard/10″ easy is NOT the Tabata protocol and body-weight stuff or the other stuff that is often suggested simply cannot achieve the workload of 170% VO2 max that this study used. It may be challenging and such but the Tabata protocol it ain’t.

Comments

Bryce said…
This is very true. So many people do 20seconds on, 10 seconds off and call it tabata.

Tabata is 100% absolute max effort. If you pace yourself, it simply isn't tabata, and though it may be good, the benefits won't be the same.
dr. m.c. said…
i think lyle is quoting posts i've been writing on forums for the past 5 years :)

except he missed one thing after 170%:

cadence is also critical in the protocol in order to get the profusion required too. hence using a cycle.

mc
Chris said…
Let's not get too negative on intervals as a whole though. They are still very time efficient for the benefits they provide.

The whole Tabata thing is way over the top but interval training does work and can deliver big benefits in a fairly limited time.
Chris D said…
One thing I'm surprised is left out of this discussion is why Dr. Tabata studied this protocol.

As I understand it, Dr. Tabata was working with the Japanese speed skating team in the 1990's, who are well respected for setting a number of world records.

Anyways, the head coach is reported to have regularly used a grueling workout that consisted of the well known 8 sets of 20 second full speed sprints on skates, with 10 seconds rest.

Sprinting on skates, or simply your feet, is a very different workout than tabata squats/bike/thrusters/etc. The increased cross sectional muscle fiber area and motor unit activation probably induces a significantly different post workout super compensation cascade.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...