Skip to main content

Seth on Fat

Seth has some good thoughts on animal fat:

for best health I need much more animal fat than I usually get — is plausible:

1. As Spector said, butchers cut the fat off meat. The odds that our Stone-Age ancestors, living when food was sometimes scarce, did the same thing: Zero. Perhaps our meat is unnaturally low in fat. If for a long time in our evolutionary past we ate a lot of animal fat it makes sense that our bodies would be shaped to work best with that much fat.

2. Many video games, which boys enjoy, resemble hunting. I think this reflects an evolutionary past in which men hunted. If so, for a long time humans ate meat. That they ate a lot of meat is suggested by the fact that when big game went extinct (probably due to hunting) human health got worse.

3. American culture demonizes animal fat. The conclusion that animal fat is bad rests on epidemiology. Once something becomes heavily recommended or discouraged, a big problem for epidemiologists arises: the people who follow the advice are likely to be different (e.g., more disciplined, better off) than those that don’t (the healthy-user bias). As I blogged yesterday, an example is vaccine effectiveness: Those who get vaccinated are different than those who don’t.

4. Fat tastes good. Which implies we need it. We like whipped cream, butter on toast, milk in tea, and so on. Butter vastly improves toast even with my nose clipped. Long ago, when this fat-pleasure connection evolved, dietary fat was mostly animal fat and fish oil.

Comments

Josh said…
I really dislike when people rationalize humans' need for fat because it "tastes good" or how we crave a juicy, rare steak.
Know what else people have cravings for? Cotton Candy, Soda, Pizza, French Fries... etc

Just because something tastes good to us or we crave it is a bad reason to say we need it, because you can rationalize anything using that line of thought.
Bryce said…
Amen!

I'd say big game went extinct because agriculture so completely changed the land scape that entire species were decimated, like salmon and buffalo (less than 1% of buffalo remain!). As their natural habitats were obliterated (the American prarie is 99% gone and most of our large rivers are damned), many species found it harder to breed, eat, etc.

Furthermore, the agricultural population explosion made it hard for animal food sources to keep up with the caloric demand of our numbers.

Good stuff Chris. You can probably tell I've been reading Vegetarian Myth, as it does an excellent job making the case against agriculture.
Bryce said…
And to Josh,

The thing is that animal fat is naturally occuring, whereas the only time you'd find sugar in concentrated form would be in honey really (not even sugar cane offers as dence a sugar source). So when hunter gatherers find honey they devour it, and they do the same for fat. But they only find honey once in a while, and they find fat all the time. If you only gorge yourself on sugar occasionally, but fat regularly, you'll have hunter gatherer health - i.e. good teeth, strong bones, and no modern diseases . . .
Marnee said…
Agriculture developed as a consequence of the need for food due to the lack of big wild game. They were not likely to have been hunted out of extinction so much as the environment could no longer sustain them in large populations. Human hunting is coincidental.

As the wild game dwindled, ruminants, who can be considered large game by the way, were domesticated in large numbers and food was grown for them. Agriculture started as a way to support the domesticated animals which humans ate, not really as a direct food source.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...