Skip to main content

Challenging conventional wisdom about weight loss

This is an interesting paper just published (the whole thing is available as a pdf). It really challenges some of the more generally accepted ideas about weight loss. For example it challenges the ideas that:
  • you can easily lose weight by being in calorie deficit
  • it is always healthier to lose weight
There is a danger of a fat acceptance idea in there to watch out for and I think they miss the obvious that a low carb / paleo diet might addresses some of their points (i.e., it is not about calorie deficit but food quality).

Still, it is worth reading.

Validity of claims made in weight management research: a narrative review of dietetic articles

The best available evidence demonstrates that conventional weight management has a high long-term failure rate. The ethical implications of continued reliance on an energy deficit approach to weight management are under-explored.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing. Why not focus on health rather than weight loss. I think fat acceptance doesn't mean everyone is just going to throw all their health ideas out the window. It is just a change of focus.
Unknown said…
Fat loss is just a by product of being healthy. The real focus should be on being healthy. Everything else will follow.
I think that this paper is enlightening and reminds us that so much research in the field of nutrition is pretty weak by science standards and a lot of the claims are sensationalized. The author mentions that in the studies reviewed, just in the four year period, some had no methods reported, some had no control group, and some had a very small number of subjects in the experimental group.

Additionally, especially here in the US, we equate thinness with health. We feel starvation and chronic exercise are noble pursuits.

Personally, I work with many clients whose primary goal is weight loss. They don't care about health or what means they have to endure to get there. It is sad. They have such a negative image of their bodies (even though they have average or better than average levels of body fat) and are constantly demonstrating signs of eating disorders. When clients get to their goal they look weak, emaciated, tired, and unhealthy. But, they are happy.

Less and less do I take on 'fat loss' clients. While I have been successful in helping them reach their goals (even with <3kg/month weight loss), I can't help but feel like they are unhealthier after than they were before.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...