Skip to main content

Another death in an endurance event

Sadly someone died this weekend in a race in Edinburgh

It reminded me of DeVany's Top Ten Reasons Not to Run Marathons

It also made me think of this:  Should athletes undergo mandatory ECG screening?  Which I spotted today.


"Screening of hundreds of thousands of athletes to save possibly one life a year, cannot be justified," he concludes.

Comments

Methuselah said…
I think the title of Art's article should have "at a high intensity" or some other qualifying caveat tacked on the end. The research and examples are oriented towards elite athletes, the dynamics of whose training and performence are entirely different from someone pottering round at persistence-hunt levels of effort.
FeelGoodEating said…
Methuselah that is an excellent point. Thanks to Art I was actually afraid to run.
I've been "running" for almost a year now...and I've never felt better.
99% of the deaths are related to top level endurance athletes. The numbers for runners in the USA has been increasing steadily and it's not like the runners are dropping like flies.
I like to run a 5K at a goo clip, but anything more is doe at lower intensity. I will say that my running pleasure is enhanced by my barefoot or VFF decision.

Marc
WoLong said…
I am sure there are people who die while lifting weights. Does it mean lifting is bad for you? Don't be fooled by randomness.
Chris G said…
Have to differ here, in the London marathon there is usually one death a year from the back of the pack, same with the Great North Run. Probably lifestyle is the factor not the running itself. People follow the programs offered in mags and books and follow a diet and lfestyle that leads to inflammation not helped by too much mileage having an opposite efffect to that intended.
Anonymous said…
Marathon is a sports event, and there is no sport that is safe. People get injured when running, playing golf, playing tennis, lifting weights, etc. Death is rare, but it happens occasionally.
Chris Robbins said…
I read one of Clarence Bass's newest article: Combined Strength and Endurance Training Best.

Here's the link: http://cbass.com/CombinedStrength_Endurance_Heart.htm

One researcher mentions that “Cardiac adaptations in elite triathletes in our study were not associated with sudden cardiac death,”

Apparently, if you combine strength & endurance your chances of dying during a marathon could be greatly diminished.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...