Skip to main content

You probably know enough already

Lyle McDonald has a nice piece on his blog -  Information vs Application.  The idea is that most of us already know most of what we need to know in order to improve our health, performance or body composition.  The problem is that we do not apply what we know.

He is right, especially about how the internet has exaggerated this problem.

Comments

John Sifferman said…
This is invaluable advice. People need to make it a point to ACT on what they already know to be true. Too many people spend exorbitant amounts of time trying to figure out the next best thing. Usually, this is just a form of procrastination - the most common form of internal resistance people face.

The truth is that we already know almost everything we could ever need to enjoy better health, fitness, and athleticism. If people just got the sleep they needed, ate the foods they know are good for them, and engaged in some vigorous physical activity regularly, most of the health problems we are facing would begin to disappear. Consistent, disciplined, hard work is always more effective than a perfectly planned regime that is pursued halfheartedly.
williebr said…
This IS good advice, but only for informed people.

If a fat guy goes out and jogs 1hr/day and eats a low-cal, high-carb, low-fat diet and is diligent about application he's going to fail on a long enough time line.

(This sounds like my teenage years and 20's: fat, working out all the time, and every joint hurt!)

You don't need perfection to be sure (doesn't exist anyway), but, working hard at things that don't work - like aerobics for fat-loss - won't actually make it work. In fact, there is a good chance that given enough time the Food Pyramid + Jogging will leave that person fattER and with a whole host of health and joint problems.

Most people do NOT know what to do.

Just being active 6hrs/week (http://josefbrandenburg.com/how-not-to-waste-lots-and-lots-of-time-in-the-gym-and-life-while-still-getting-the-body-you-really-want/) doesn't mean anything for most people who have a weight issue.
Anonymous said…
He's not saying it's good to know nothing, just that chances are there haven't been any life-changing discoveries in the last 72 hours, and you could have spent that time actually doing something.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...