Skip to main content

The Pushup

The more I think about it, the more I get to like the pushup (as I've said before).  It is the fundamental exercise that everyone should be doing, not just for the upper body, but for everything - posture, core, the lot.  You need solid hips / glutes and upper back/traps.  You need to be able to hold the plank position before you can do the exercise. 


Yet rarely do you see a decent pushup.   People move too fast, but don't move enough.  They rarely hold the plank. 

I sometimes think that in terms of basic strength, a pushup and a proper squat (or a wall sit) would be enough for most people.

Anyway, Greg Everett has a superb post today on the pushup and the need to develop it as a basic exercise:

The Push-up: Why Is This So Hard?

Comments

John Sifferman said…
Good article. Greg thinks pragmatically and he gets this stuff.

There's a lot of confusion around the basic pushup because there are a lot of different opinions about how to do it. For example, I don't agree with his 45 degree angle recommendation for hand/arm positioning because I like the elbows in tighter to the ribs, which puts less strain on the joints and allows greater force production potential.

That said, there are different techniques that are most appropriate for certain goals. So, the best pushup for one person might not be the best pushup for another. Some technique qualities will remain constant, yes, but others may vary based on goals.

Regardless, just doing pushups is an impressive first step, and for most people, these details don't matter all that much. Us geeks need to get a life sometimes!
Chris said…
Thanks John

I'd actually agree on the keeping the elbows in a bit tighter.

By the way, tonight inspired by your article I decided to do 5 minutes in the pushup plank position. Tough but I made it.
Aaron said…
I revere the pushup. Gave up the expensive gym membership two years ago and train at the playground in the summer and in my flat in the winter.
Not much else to do for chest in these situations ... but I'm not complaining. I've done regular ones, clap pushups, backpack weighted pushups, weighted with a clap, slow motion ones - you name it. I'm slightly sore at this moment from some super slow, non weighted ones yesterday.
The pushup is simple in principle and powerful in effect. Can't beat it.
John Sifferman said…
Awesome, Chris - congrats! That's quite a feat to accomplish. Although, I've got a couple of ladies in their mid-late 50's who just set a new PR at 21 minutes. It kindof makes our paltry 5 minute sets look amateur. They're shooting for the Guinness World Record, though.
David said…
I struggled with finding a way I could make push ups easierfor folks that lacked the strength to do push ups correctly. Thats when I invented the Push Up Bench. It allows almost anyone to do push ups with full range of motion, without cheating, to get the most benefit. Check it out.
go hair extra said…
Hey this post is really nice, even i think these few exercise can keep a person fit forever.

Solution for balding

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...