Skip to main content

The Health Delusion



Rannoch pointed to this blog.  I've been reading it through and there is some great stuff on there.  Check it out.  The Health Delusion is the book and the blog is Health Uncut

Comments

Stephan Guyenet said…
The blog seemed so good until he started arguing that the obesity epidemic was caused by inactivity but not by eating too much...
Chris said…
Hi Stephan

Yes I wouldn't agree with everything on the blog but they do have some good material and well written.

Thanks for the comment
What is lasik said…
Hi,
Those of you who labor under the delusion that health care entitlements are unconstitutional?
Medicare has been around for nearly 45 years now. When do you think it's existence will be successfully challenged in the Supreme Court?
Asclepius said…
From the Beeb (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18985141)

"The idea that exercise is more important than diet in the fight against obesity has been contradicted by new research.

A study of the Hadza tribe, who still exist as hunter gatherers, suggests the amount of calories we need is a fixed human characteristic.

This suggests Westerners are growing obese through over-eating rather than having inactive lifestyles, say scientists."
Chris said…
Asclepius

Thanks for that. Walking to work this morning I was struck by the truth of this when I saw a couple of obese joggers / fitness walkers go past. Not only should such people be banned from wearing lycra, it emphasises that eat less is more important than move more.
Asclepius said…
You definitely can't out-train a bad diet.
Unknown said…
re wearing lycra, I forget which comedian said it but

"Spandex is a privilege, not an obligation"

particularly funny when they are wearing black tights in 93 degree weather
Anonymous said…
I would agree that the obesity is a food not an activity issue. However, I think it is more about food quality than volume. The poor quality is waht drives the overconsumption, in particular refined carbs and low quality fats.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...