Monday, October 11, 2010

Another sleep less get fatter study


Reading Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution has got me thinking more about lifestyle, in particular 2 areas: sleep and stress.   Stress messes with you hormonally.

He has prompted me to do a couple of things:

  • Totally black out my bedroom so I really sleep in total dark
  • Aim for at least 8 hours sleep
  • Ease back in general and take it easier.
In some of his podcasts he really emphasises (stresses?) the danger of overtraining and fasting too.  Both can bump up your cortisol levels with a range  dodgy effects.

Anyway, I spotted this abstract today:


Sleep duration and body-weight development during puberty in a Dutch children cohort

Conclusion: Changes in BMI during puberty were inversely related to changes in sleep duration, independent of possible confounders.

3 comments:

Chad said...

The book "Lights Out" is also, though controversial, touching on the subject of total black out of your sleep-room, among other things such as sleep and carbs...check it out sometime, if you haven't already!

Chris said...

Lights Out is a great book.

Cliff said...

I have a massive window in my bedroom, so we got one of those super-serious hotel style curtain liners. It keeps it quieter, darker, and more energy efficient. Very worth it.
Since getting a tempur-pedic bed and going blacked out at night- I notice better sleep.