Skip to main content

The Black Box...empiricism or processes

I  have mentioned the Hillfit pieces that I am working on.  Thay have got me studying a varirty of interesting things as background for the different articles.  For example, Keith Norris post the other days got me reading things about the theories around muscle hypertrophy.  Keith pointed to a fascinating study (abstract) which Tom Kelso summarised here.

Anyway that is not the point.

The complexities of that got me thinking.  Exercise science is complicated.  As you delve deeper into the biology of it all things get ever more complex.  Metabolism and the cell biology is deep and difficult but also wonderful (check out this video)  Muscle growth is driven by mechanical loading of the muscle, metabolic stress and muscle damage / trauma.  The precise pathways get more and more complex the deeper you look.

However sometimes I wonder how much you need to understand.   In the afterword to Art Devany's book Nassim Taleb talks about this idea - Evidence-based science and working with the black box.   He explains that ultimately the science explaining the body keeps changing.  What was once accepted wisdom changes as knowledge develops.  Somtimes this change totally negates what has gone before.....yet while the explanation may switch 180 degrees, the experience is constant.  Understanding the process is interesting  but what is ultimately more important is applying what works.

For example if it is clear that negative reps work the lesson is to do negatives....how they work is a different issue.  Whatever metabolic pathways they signal or whatever gene expression effects are apparent may be interesting.....but our suppositions about process may be totally wrong.

We are on a search for progress.  Understanding the mechanisms may help but knowing what works is more important.   So how do we find what works?


Here is Keith doing what works for him.....

Comments

JamesSteeleII said…
So true Chris. Something alot of physiologists focus on are acute effects and processes stimulated without actually obtaining any evidence for a chronic training effect. An example would be research that shows increased 'protein synthesis' from a particular training method over another. Thats all well and good but when unless empirical data from longer term studies looking at hard end points rather than surrogate biochemical process markers actually demonstrate the effect it means nothing. It just provides impetus to direct further research into the potential for it.
praguestepchild said…
Taleb wrote an afterword to DeVany's pseudo-scientific book? Fuck me.
Fitness said…
It seems to me that this is yet more evidence that it is crucial to use intuition, not just science in your pursuit of any field including muscular development.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...