Skip to main content

GI / GL is pointless

I spotted this today:

The glycemic response is a personal attribute.

The absolute magnitudes of the glycemic responses are important for individuals trying to control blood sugar and/or body weight, but using published GI lists as a guide to control the glycemic response is not fully informative. This is because in calculating the GI, individual glycemic responses to glucose are normalized to 100. GI values are, therefore, relative and are not necessarily a reliable guide to the person's actual individual AUC when consuming a food. Without knowledge of the person's characteristic blood glucose responses, reliance only on the GI may be misleading


Interesting to see this study just now. Others have been saying similar things before:

Barry Groves exaplains:
What matters as far as your body is concerned is not the GI of a carbohydrate, but the total amount. A hundred grams of carbohydrate is a hundred grams of carbohydrate whatever its GI is.

Emma also had a good post way back:


I’ve been griping about the GI diet for a long time now – partly because of Dr. Bernstein’s evidence, but mainly because it encourages the consumption of foods that do bad things to your body. A low fat, low animal protein diet encourages the consumption of plant foods, particularly energy-rich ones like beans and grains in order to replace missing calories. Plants grow very fast and they are always one step ahead of us in evolutionary terms, particularly when it comes to protecting their seeds. Beans and grains contain lectins, phytates, phytoestrogens, goiterogens, coumarins, oxalates, salicylates, protease inhibitors, and cyanogens, all designed to prevent them from being eaten. Each one of these substances contributes and causes different problems, from autoimmune diseases, to mineral deficiencies, to thyroid problems, to sex hormone imbalances, to uncontrolled bleeding.

Comments

Raymond said…
Wow… trying to lose weight is getting so complicated … I'm just going to go back to old fashion "don't eat too much" I can't keep up with all the studies and theories
Raymond
chris said…
It's not that complicated.

Eat lots of meat and vegetables.
(Ideally, grass fed ruminants, pastured poultry, wild-caught fish, organic veggies...)

Eat some fruits, tubers and nuts every once in a while; depending on activity level.

Avoid at all cost: sugar, grains/legumes and vegetable oil.

You will eventually feel, perform and look better.
Sean said…
I was recently listening to Robert Lustig's interview with Jimmy Moore and he was banging on about GI and fiber. I tend to think it is more about total carbs and insulin response/metabolic syndrome.

@Raymond yeah it is about not eating too much, but it is hard to cut down on the calories and lose weight when you are eating carbs and sugar and insulin is blocking access to your fat stores and telling your body to convert glucose to fat.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...